Thursday, October 21, 2010

Black Widow Spider Costume

I worked on my black widow spider costume today and I swear this costume has been a hassle for an entire year. I have helped with a haunted barn every Halloween for the past five years and every year we have a different theme in the lobby where the people wait to get into the main part of the haunted barn. Last year, we were so excited about our new six foot spider prop that we decided to center the waiting area around spiders. So, the consequence of this is that my costume has been in my mind for twelve months. Now it's getting to the deadline of things and even though I've been putting this together since the end July, it still isn't the costume I had hoped for. I have wanted to be an actual black widow spider from the start. There are plenty of black widow costumes...you know the evil women that traipse around in long Elvira type black dresses after allegedly slaying their husbands. There are also spiderella costumes, spider witch costumes, and the occasional sexy spider girls with their mini skirts and go go boots. None of these types of costumes interested me. I had to be a spider. There are no spider costumes! So I had to come up with my own. This so far has involved two costumes, a special custom made spider cape for my legs (which I have to alter because the legs are a bit floppy and I want clear wire connecting them so it isn't so blatantly obvious they are fake), a mask I'm not wearing, and finally an awesome paint job which is what I was working on tonight. I'm hoping that after all my plans and hard work, that I end up with an acceptable costume. Maybe even an awesome one!



No comments:

Post a Comment